My Kenya Adventure

"Whatever you do to the least of these, you have done to me."

Friday, June 23, 2006

The Greatness Continues!

Habari!

It's hard to believe it's been a week since I last wrote. This week went very quicky and was honestly much better than my first week. I am beginning to feel much more comfortable with things and i feel like I'm coming across blessing after blessing!

Last thursday night Adele (the communications coordinator), Christy, and I threw a little party for the oldest girls (10 and 11). We held it in Adele's house and bought all these pink/red/purple supplies, and talked to them about... basically, becoming a woman. Can't say I've ever done any of that sort of teaching before:) But actually, Christy did most of the talking, and did wonderfully! We played fun games with them and watched part of Princess Diaries while eating cupcakes. It was a lot of fun!

I have been getting to know a lot of the parents here which has been so great! One of the couples was on maternity leave when I came, but they had their baby this week, so we went to see him (Victor), and he was so precious!! I have been invited into many homes for many cups of chai and long conversation. The people here are so relationship-oriented, it works great for me! I am really connecting with one of the mothers, Mary. She is incredible, and I am loving getting to know her!

One of the biggest blessings this week was how God has really healed me from my homesickness. The first week I felt very far away from everyone and everything, especially my family. It was becoming distracting as home was almost always on my mind. I prayed through those feelings a lot and saw a huge difference this week! I have found little ways that God has just provided touches of home. Like Ilula is surrounded by corn :), or like Adele lived in Cedar Rapids for a couple of years (random, because everyone else here is from california) so we can often talk about Iowa, or like the Albrights know my sister Sarah. So although I am far away, there are just little ways like that that make it seem not SO foreign. In some ways, it is really beginning to feel like a home to me! I am so thankful for that!

I am learning so much from the people here. You know what makes them so amazing? They really know the value of their salvation! I am so challenged by them...they wake up everymorning, taking complete joy in the fact that they are saved. They do not have much else, but i'm telling you, I've never seen hearts like these. I have had to take a look at my life and that aspect of it. Do i take joy in my salvation alone? Reminds me of the song "All of you is more than enough...". Is that true in my life? Oh how much I have yet to learn!

Since I am in a small, slow, internet cafe AND I'm completely computer illiterate...I have not been able to put pictures on here. However, as soon as I get home I will put a few up for you to look at. But I don't want to tell you too much or show too many, because that's what coffee and lunch dates are for :)

Oh- and I am going on a safari to the Masai Mara this coming Thursday through Saturday! I was not planning on going, but a door opened up at a very reasonable price, so Christy, Jared, and I will go on that together. Then I will spend the day in Nariobi before flying out late that night. Awesome, huh?

I really thank you for making this trip possible, for interceding for me, and for just being a part of my life enough to read this! I really look forward to seeing you when I'm home (July 3rd). I pray that you are all doing well too.

If you want to keep praying this week just pray that as I wrap things up at the childrens home that I would just really cement relationships. Pray that I would not become weary as I end my time here, but that I would continue to DELIGHT in the Lord, and would find joy everyday as I am able to serve these people and looooove these children! One week left- may I be even more purposeful and not lose sight of why I am here! Thank you!!

Ubarikiwe (Be blessed),
Rachel ChepKoech

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home